2010/04/05

3 alarm fire

Around 1:30 am this morning I got an email saying there was a fire at a two story multi family home in the next town over. With it being so late and not really in our coverage area, I decided to wait it out and see what happened. Maybe 10 minutes later another email came across calling for more help (2nd alarm). "Hmmm," I thought. "This may get interesting." No injuries were being reported so I told myself if it got to a 3 Alarm fire I would have to go check it out. Sure enough, around 2:00 am came the third alarm. Knowing I would never be able to call myself a journalist if I didn't at least check it out, I grabbed my gear and scrambled out of the house.

When I got on the scene any thoughts of sleep were immediately wiped out by the towering inferno in front of me. By the time I got around the perimeter that the authorities had set up the blaze was pretty much under control. Bummer, I thought.
My attention turned to the crowd of residents and spectators to get some emotion. I saw these to guys as I was about to leave and hung around to make a few frames. Turns out the guy on the right had moved in 3 months ago and was the first one to smell the smoke. Instead of getting all his brand new belongings outside he ran up and down the halls making sure everyone was out safe.
I got home and transmitted some images in case another paper wanted to pick them up. I love covering spot news events. There is so much to think about and compress into one frame. Plus, you usually have to do it with limited time and access.
Thank god I was working a night shift today and didn't have to get up early.

No comments: